Saturday, April 3, 2010

Ovens are still evil.

I whined several weeks ago about doing battle with my oven in an attempt to bake celebratory brownies. Little did I know the true terror of a Mexican oven! I made brownies again, this time to celebrate our move to the new apartment. Thanks to the resulting fireball, I singed off some arm hair and some hair from the left side of my head (you know those frizzies that never go away? Gone.), and my eyelashes on the left side are now half the length of those on the right. Part of what really sucks about singeing your eyelashes is that the burnt ends curl up and work like little velcro bits until they give up and break off, so I had about 24 hours of my upper and lower eyelashes sticking closed when I tried to open my eye.

Keating kindly pointed out that the brownies still came out great and I didn't burn any skin, so all is apparently still well with the world. I think it will be his turn to light the f-ing oven next time.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

We have the same ovens here in Australia (an electric ignition can't be THAT advanced a technology!). Anyway, you might want to use my technique:
Step 1: Light match
Step 2: Toss lit match into bottom of oven near gas vents (making sure it remains lit)
Step 3: Back away
Step 4: Turn on gas

I won't make any guarantees about what will happen if you use any of these steps out of order.

Shazta said...

Good idea, Craig, but there is a problem with the venting in this particular oven: the gas all pools in the bottom collection area until it creates a fireball that blows out the front grate of the oven. There seems to be a problem with the venting to allow for "easy" ignition. My solution is to pull up the base of the oven and light the gas source directly, giving it no time to pool up to fireball size. That, and to casually stand in the garden pretending to water the plants while Keating dodges the fireball. :P